Sunday, February 7, 2016

Finishing what I started

Yesterday I finished a sketch begin a few weeks ago. Today I completed one from even longer ago- a month or so. This was a rental building across from the hotel where we stayed in Delray Beach FL. Lots of pretty buildings there. I did the  original pencil sketch in the airport before our flight home.


I expanded the color palette a bit on this one, since I needed some brighter, tropical colors. I stuck with Phthalo blue GS to make the greens, and used my own bistro gray (ultramarine + cobalt blue deep). Then I used cerulean blue (not chromium) for the sky and man's hat, cobalt real blue for all of the turquoise, and combined Quin rose with pyrrol  scarlet for the salmony-pink. Should have gone a bit more coral, but it works. For the Indian red shades I mixed a little cobalt teal into the coral. 

Overall I am pleased with both the sketch and the painting/mixing. The only thing I'd change is lightening up the ink lines behind the palm tree. It does bring back that Florida feel!




No comments:

Post a Comment